- a [an empty] compliment; flattery
- flatter [compliment] a person ((on, about))／pay a compliment to a person
- flattering a person in an insincere manner；《英口》 smarmy
- He tried to flatter Jane by saying that she had a lovely voice.
- I know you are only flattering me, but I'm glad.
- frankly speaking／to be plain with you
- an unctuous person
- offer a person an insincere compliment
- You are so diplomatic [good at compliments].／You know how to please people.
- You are just saying so to be nice [kind].
- 「Even to be courteous [With the best will in the world], I can't say he's good at it.
- 御世辞笑いan ingratiating smile