- 〔状態〕a state, a condition；〔ひどい光景〕a sight
- the state of the world
- They had no place to live and were in (a) wretched condition.
- 「Under the present circumstances [As things stand now], the unemployment problem will probably get worse.
- As things are with him now, he won't be able to find a job.
- He described the havoc wreaked by the typhoon.／He gave an account of the damage done by the typhoon.
- The airplane crash presented a terrible spectacle [sight].
- 1〔ありのまま〕the truth
- 「The fact is [To tell you the truth], our company is on the verge of bankruptcy.
- There is no way he can justify himself.